"Oh to Grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be.
Let thy goodness, like a fetter
bind my wandering heart to Thee!"


Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Seriously?



I have so many comments on this video I don't even know where to start. I might not even start. I might just stop and let the video speak for itself. But the sad thing is, if I don't say something then the people who watch this are left to their own discernment. And sound discernment these days is almost nonexistent among evangelicalism. I don't cringe when I think about my Christian brothers and sisters who might watch this because I know they will compare it to the scriptures and throw it out. I cringe when I think about all the people who will take anything and everything Rick Warren says and believe it all just because he has written a popular book and says things in the name of the Lord. My friends, when we are guided by the Holy Spirit and we see something like this displayed, our discernment starts kicking in and we are repulsed by the 1) failure to give an account of the true Gospel of Jesus Christ 2) flippant talk about a God who should be both revered and feared for His holiness 3) an almost "universalistic" approach that God loves everyone for who they are, simply tickling the ears of millions of spiritually unreconciled sinners 4) a disdain for anyone who stands for objective truth and doesn't waver with every wind of doctrine (deemed fundamentalists who don't listen). My friends, this guy is dangerous. I mean, whoa. I realize that me saying this makes me part of a very unpopular, small few of people who, by the Grace of God, will not tolerate the watering down of the true Gospel. The bottom line is the true Gospel is a stumbling block for those who refuse to repent of their sins and trust in Jesus Christ. It is a stumbling block for those who choose to live for the ways of the world and do not deny themselves. Rick Warren can try and water it down all he wants and make it so the stumbling block becomes a circus, but he cannot rewrite the Word of God. This just encourages me to read and study the ENTIRE counsel of God so much more because I know that so many people are out there perverting it like this. If what Rick Warren says is true, we serve a God that can be won over with cotton candy and lolly pops, as he simply smiles down at all our iniquities that are leading us to death? I'm sorry, but I don't believe that...that is not the God of the Bible...period. And you can call me whatever you want, but that is perversion of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Please, can we wake up to this incredible danger that is right in front of our eyes? I say this in love....love for the brethren and love for the lost souls. Both of us need to be fed the unadulterated Word of God, so it needs to be preached that way. I pray the Lord will let Romans 1:16 reign true in our lives: "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes."


Jeremiah 6:13-16

For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them everyone is given to covetousness; and from the prophet even unto the priest everyone deals falsely. They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of my people lightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace. Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore they shall fall among them that fall: at the time that I punish them they shall be cast down, says the LORD. Thus says the LORD, Stand you in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where the good way is, and walk in it, and you shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk in it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I once heard on the radio about Rick Warren having been influenced by the New Age ideas.

Anonymous said...

You are so correct on this. The great need of the hour is revival and reform that produces true churches where God is the center, the glory of God is the focus, and the Bible is our authority.

Mike (bloodtippedears.blogspot.com)

gham said...

Hey Sue!

It was good to meet you the other day in Prosapologian

Its a sad state when the churches go seeker sensitive style..
And it ends up becoming to please men instead of God.
I think the main problem is the church has a mindset of church service for unbelievers which will involve all sorts of attractions. When church is for the Saints.

Unfortantuely I find that many Christian Brothers & Sisters dont seem to search the scriptures like the Beuarns (Acts 17:11). Rather like you said take someone's word on it!


Geoff

p.s Have you listened to examine yourself by Paul Washer? great sermon!

One of the Ateam said...

Cheers to being unpopular, you go girl!

Unknown said...

That Colbert had Warren on tells a lot because Colbert hates God and hates religion as he constantly demonstrates through what he says and does on TV. Warren just giggled through the interview and sidestepped any opportunity to speak truth. I wonder what Colbert thought about it all? He may be lost but he's not stupid. He surely saw how disingenuous Warren was being.

KiltedAnglican said...

gotta love that funny, light hearted Fluffy bunny in the sky Christianity.

good job, Suski!

SK

Michael R. Jones said...

Excellent comments, and so true. I hadn't seen this video before. I used to think Rick Warren was harmless, just a bit misguided but his exposing people to the truth might even do some good. The more I find out about him by hearing him and reading his books, the more dangerous I think he is. Half-truth is dangerous because half-truth is a perversion of the truth and half-truth often leaves the most offensive parts out. The part of the Gospel that is most offensive is the cross and that the half Rick Warren and his ilk often neglect.

Also, I like your blog and look forward to reading it regularly. I'm originally from right up the road in Jacksonville. I'm a 'Noles fan but since you're a sister in Christ I can forgive you for being a Gator! (Just kidding!)

Anonymous said...

Rick Warren is a friend of the world. When he gets to be on the same show as hardcore "atheist" Sam Harris, that alone speaks volumes.

May we be like the 7000 who did not bow to Baal.

AG said...

Glad to find your blog.
I'm so overwhelmed with what is going on in my local church body and the Rick Warren loving people.
(By that I mean we have done everything he has put out.)

My husband is in Seminary and I am at home raising our 3 children. Sometimes I feel out of the loop on what is going on, but try to stay informed by reading great blogs like yours.

Thanks for being true to scripture with what you put on your blog.


April Green
Georgia

Anonymous said...

Good to see darkness being exposed by the Light. I would recommend the books "Deceived on Purpose: The New Age Implications of the Purpose Driven Church" by Warren Smith and "A "Wonderful" Deception" by the same author which reveal the deceptive New Age influences behind Rick Warren's teachings. Available at lighthousetrailsresearch.com.
God bless.
Ciara.